Two people were killed and ten others were left in critical condition after a gunman opened fire through the windows of a church in south Minneapolis during a children’s prayer service.
Heartbroken parents rushed to Annunciation Church on Wednesday morning, where many were seen embracing their children in tears. Authorities later confirmed that the gunman took his own life following an hour-long rampage.
One grieving mother told reporters her son had been shot, asking in disbelief: “Who could do something like this?”

A young girl, walking away from the crime scene with police assistance, said she believed a “guardian angel” had kept her safe during the terrifying ordeal.
Nearby, another woman collapsed onto the grass outside the police cordon, sobbing uncontrollably as she spoke into her phone.
Doctors at a Minneapolis hospital confirmed they were treating six children, with up to ten victims remaining in critical condition from gunshot injuries.

Mayor Jacob Frey, visibly shaken, delivered an emotional statement at a press briefing. “Please don’t just offer thoughts and prayers. These children were literally praying. It was their first week of school, and they were in a church,” he said.

He continued: “They deserve to be laughing with their friends and playing outside. Every child should feel safe in school and in church, without facing the terror of violence. I am heartbroken.”
According to CBS reports, the attacker carried a semi-automatic rifle and began shooting during an all-school service intended to welcome children back for their second day of the school year. Some pupils were as young as five.
ABC News reported that the gunman, dressed entirely in black, began his assault around 8:45 a.m. Witnesses said he left two dead before dying from what police believe was a self-inflicted gunshot wound.
Richfield Police later confirmed that a total of 20 individuals were struck before the incident ended.
Outside the church, children dressed in green school uniforms were escorted past a heavy law enforcement presence. Parents clutched their children tightly, many breaking down in tears as they left the area.
“Authorities in Minneapolis confirmed on X that the shooter has been secured. The public is urged to avoid the area to allow emergency teams to help those affected.”
Governor Tim Walz also addressed the tragedy on X, writing: “I have been briefed on the shooting at Annunciation Catholic School. The BCA and State Patrol are on-site. I am praying for our children and teachers whose first week of school has been devastated by this horrific act.”
Mayor Frey, who was seen at the scene, later posted: “I am monitoring developments closely. Our emergency response team has been deployed, and we are working with Chief O’Hara. Please allow our officers the space they need to continue their work.”
“President Donald Trump took to TruthSocial to say he has received full updates on the Minneapolis shooting. ‘The FBI is actively responding, and the White House is keeping a close watch on developments.
I ask everyone to keep the affected families in their thoughts and prayers,’ he stated.”
This incident comes amid a wave of violence in Minneapolis. In the last 24 hours alone, three people were killed in separate shootings across the city.

Authorities are investigating whether these shootings are connected.
Police Chief Brian O’Hara expressed deep concern after a downtown fatal shooting, stating, “The sheer level of gun violence in the past day is deeply troubling. In three separate incidents, eight people were wounded, and three others lost their lives.”
He concluded: “Our thoughts remain with those who were killed, those fighting to survive, and the families and communities devastated by these senseless acts of violence.”