A man has admitted to 24 sexual offences after targeting women in London, including drugging them and filming them with hidden cameras.
Chao Xu, 33, pleaded guilty at Woolwich Crown Court to offences committed between February 2022 and June 2025, affecting at least 12 identified women. Police said the true scale of his offending may be even greater.
Xu, who is originally from China and believed to have been living in the UK since 2013, admitted four counts of rape, eight counts of assault by penetration and four counts of sexual assault.
He also pleaded guilty to four counts of voyeurism, two counts of administering a substance with intent, and two counts of upskirting.
The court heard Xu planted hidden cameras inside an air freshener at a London Underground station toilet and accumulated hundreds of images and videos of women filmed without their consent. Officers described some of the material as “disturbing.”

Police said the investigation began after a woman attending a networking event at Xu’s Greenwich property fell ill. She had been offered to stay overnight by Xu and was later drugged before being sexually assaulted multiple times.
Detective Chief Inspector Lewis Sanderson described Xu as a “calculated prolific sex offender” who “preyed on unsuspecting women using cowardly methods.” He added:
“The investigation is ongoing. We continue to examine the large volume of evidence we have recovered, which may help identify further victims. Anyone with information or who believes they may have been victimised is urged to come forward.”
Xu had previously pleaded not guilty to one count of sexual assault and another of assault by penetration, but these charges were not pursued and will lie on file.
The Crown Prosecution Service said the evidence against Xu was “overwhelming” and included images and videos recovered from hidden cameras and digital devices, as well as substances commonly used to incapacitate victims.
Suzanne Crane, speaking on behalf of prosecutors, said: “Without the bravery of the victims who came forward, these crimes could have continued undetected. Xu is a serious danger to women.”
Xu’s sentencing hearing has been set for November 14, and the judge is expected to impose a lengthy custodial sentence reflecting both the premeditated nature and scale of his crimes.
Police are reviewing Xu’s online activity and social contacts to determine whether he may have targeted further victims through social networks, events, or private gatherings. Officers are urging anyone who may have encountered him in similar circumstances to contact the police.
The Metropolitan Police said the case highlights the risks of sexual offences involving hidden cameras and drugs, and encouraged the public to remain vigilant and report suspicious behaviour.
Investigators emphasised that protecting potential victims remains a key priority, with the investigation continuing to ensure that anyone affected by Xu’s actions can come forward safely.
This case underlines law enforcement’s commitment to holding perpetrators accountable and preventing further sexual offences, particularly those involving technology to exploit victims.