Libyan authorities have accused international aid organizations of encouraging African migrants to remain in the country as part of an alleged plot to alter Libya’s demographic composition.
In response, the government has ordered the closure of ten aid groups, including Doctors Without Borders (MSF), the UN Refugee Agency (UNHCR), and the Norwegian Refugee Council.
Libya’s Internal Security Authority Justifies Crackdown
On Thursday, Internal Security Authority spokesman Salem Gheit justified the decision, claiming:
“This plan to settle migrants of African origin in our country represents a hostile act. It aims to change the demographic composition of the country and threatens the balance of Libyan society.”
The move mirrors a similar stance taken by Tunisia two years ago, which was widely condemned as anti-Black racism.
Both Libya and Tunisia, situated along the Mediterranean coast, serve as key transit points for migrants attempting to cross into Europe.
However, migrant abuse, human trafficking, and militia violence have made Libya an increasingly dangerous place for asylum seekers and refugees.
Libya’s Humanitarian Crisis Worsens Amid Political Chaos
Since the 2011 overthrow of Muammar Gaddafi, Libya has been plagued by instability, with rival governments controlling different parts of the country.
The internationally recognized government in Tripoli issued the recent expulsion order.
Militia groups operating across Libya have been accused of running brutal detention centers where migrants face beatings, starvation, and even death. The Libyan coastguard has also faced criticism for filming migrants stranded at sea instead of rescuing them. Authorities have not responded to these accusations.
Doctors Without Borders Condemns Harassment of Humanitarian Workers
Following the crackdown, Doctors Without Borders (MSF) suspended its operations in Libya last week, citing intimidation and harassment by the authorities.
“Our organization is very concerned about the consequences that these orders will have on the health of patients and on the safety of humanitarian workers,” MSF stated in a release sent to the BBC.
The UN refugee agency (UNHCR) also defended its role, arguing that it assists refugees in dire need and operates with the consent of Libya’s Tripoli-based government.
“UNHCR has been operating in Libya for over 30 years, providing humanitarian assistance to refugees, asylum seekers, and vulnerable Libyan communities,” UNHCR spokesman William Spindler told the BBC.
Migrants Face Abuse and Discrimination in Libya
Libya’s Internal Security Authority accused the 10 banned organizations of encouraging illegal migration by providing food, clothing, and medical aid—a claim that aid groups strongly deny.
For years, sub-Saharan African migrants have endured severe abuse, including enslavement, torture, and sexual violence in Libya. Many do not want to stay in the country due to these dangers.
A Sudanese refugee trafficked in Libya recently told the BBC about the abuse she suffered:
“He used to call me a ‘disgusting Black.’ He raped me and said: ‘This is what women were made for.’”
Even migrant children in Libya face discrimination, with some reporting being mocked and treated as outcasts due to their race.
“Even kids here are mean to us. They treat us as beasts and sorcerers, they insult us for being Black and African—are they not Africans themselves?”
What’s Next?
With aid groups now forced to halt operations, fears are growing over the worsening humanitarian crisis for migrants trapped in Libya.
International organizations and human rights activists urge the Tripoli government to reverse its decision and allow essential humanitarian work to continue.
Meanwhile, tensions remain high, as migrants continue to face abuse, exploitation, and hostility in a country where they have little protection.