Dayo Ade Olusola|M10news|Europe News|29 August 2025
Italian Prime Minister Giorgia Meloni has condemned the circulation of manipulated explicit images of women, including herself, after a notorious adult website was forced offline following widespread outrage and legal complaints.
The site, phica.eu, which had been active since 2005, specialised in publishing fake pornographic material of public figures. With more than 200,000 registered members, the platform hosted thousands of doctored photos and videos, often paired with degrading and violent captions. Authorities confirmed it was shut down on Thursday after mounting criticism from both political leaders and victims.

Meloni, Italy’s first female prime minister, expressed anger at being targeted and solidarity with others caught up in the scandal. Speaking to Corriere della Sera, she said she was “disgusted” by the invasion of privacy, adding:
“I want to express my closeness to all the women who have been offended, insulted and violated in their intimacy by the administrators of this forum and its users.”
The prime minister described the phenomenon as part of a broader cultural problem, criticising those who normalise the humiliation of women under the cover of anonymity.
“It is disheartening that in 2025 we still see people treating women’s dignity as something to trample on, reducing them to objects of sexist and vulgar insult while hiding behind a keyboard,” she said.
Other prominent women have also been affected. Alessandra Moretti, a member of the European Parliament, confirmed she had filed a criminal complaint, warning that such platforms actively encourage violence against women. Influencer Chiara Ferragni, one of Italy’s most recognisable online figures, was also listed among the targets.
The revelations drew parallels with international cases of women being targeted with explicit “deepfake” content. In the United States, global pop star Taylor Swift was subjected to AI-generated sexual images that went viral on X last year, with one fake photograph amassing nearly 47 million views before the account was suspended. The incident sparked alarm at the highest levels of government, with officials in the Biden administration describing the spread of such images as “deeply concerning.”
Former Love Island contestant Cally Jane Beech has also spoken about the trauma of discovering fabricated images of herself online, saying she felt “extremely violated” by the misuse of her likeness.
The growing prevalence of manipulated content has prompted governments to step up regulation. In the UK, ministers have announced plans to make the creation and distribution of explicit deepfakes a criminal offence, acknowledging the serious psychological and reputational harm it causes victims.
Campaigners argue the Meloni case underlines the urgent need for tougher international frameworks to hold websites and users accountable.
Women’s rights groups in Italy said the scandal showed how technology is being misused to perpetuate abuse, with devastating personal consequences.
The closure of phica.eu has been welcomed, but critics say it highlights just one part of a wider problem. Digital watchdogs warned that similar forums often reappear under different domains, making enforcement and protection for victims a constant challenge.