Israel says it is examining reports from Gaza’s health ministry claiming that overnight airstrikes struck a hospital in the southern part of the enclave, where at least 20 people were reported killed.
The facility, which had been treating patients and sheltering displaced families, was struck during renewed Israeli bombardments on Saturday.
Local officials said medical staff, patients and civilians were among the casualties.


The health ministry in Gaza, run by Hamas, claimed that journalists were also among those killed, though their identities have not yet been confirmed.
Images shared on social media showed sections of the hospital building reduced to rubble, with rescue workers pulling survivors from the debris.
M10News could not independently verify the footage, but it has been widely circulated across regional media outlets.
Israel’s military confirmed it was examining the incident. In a brief statement, officials said: “The IDF is reviewing reports of a strike near a medical facility in southern Gaza. Findings will be shared once verified.”


The strike comes amid one of the most intense phases of the war, with Israeli forces pressing ground operations deeper into Gaza’s southern districts.
Doctors in the territory have repeatedly warned of collapsing health infrastructure, with hospitals running out of fuel, beds and essential supplies.
The World Health Organisation has described the situation as “beyond catastrophic”, urging all sides to protect medical facilities and personnel.
UN Secretary-General António Guterres said he was “deeply disturbed” by the reports, stressing that hospitals enjoy special protection under international humanitarian law.
Neighbouring Egypt has condemned the incident, calling it “a grave violation” and urging an immediate investigation.
Meanwhile, the Palestinian Authority in the West Bank accused Israel of committing “a war crime” by targeting a medical centre.
The US State Department said it was “closely monitoring” developments and would seek further information from Israel regarding its internal inquiry.

Journalists’ unions in the region also demanded accountability, saying reporters had increasingly become casualties in the conflict.
Since October, dozens of media workers have been killed in Gaza, according to press freedom groups.
Families of the victims gathered outside the damaged hospital on Sunday morning, mourning their loved ones and demanding justice.
One survivor told M10News that the strike hit while people were “sleeping on the floor of the corridor”, adding: “We thought hospitals were safe. Nowhere is safe anymore.”

The incident has once again raised urgent questions about the safety of civilians and aid workers in Gaza, where more than two million residents remain trapped.
Human rights organisations have warned that attacks on medical facilities could constitute breaches of international law if found to be deliberate.
Israel insists its military does not target hospitals, arguing that militant groups use them as cover for operations — a claim denied by Palestinian officials.
The investigation’s outcome will likely shape international debate over Israel’s conduct in the conflict, as pressure mounts for greater accountability.
For now, families of the victims are left to grieve as Gaza’s health system struggles under the weight of relentless bombardment.
Editing by M10News International Desk | Contact: international@m10news.com
© 2025 M10News. All rights reserved. Unauthorised reproduction is prohibited